- In the horrific aftermath of the nuclear destruction of 3 principal cities, there will be invasion and takeover attempts by foreign nations. By the strength and mercy of the Almighty, they will be resoundingly defeated in an overnight rout. This will not be a repeat of 726 BC when Ephraim vanished into obscurity. There are still many upright Christians in the land. The Lord will remember mercy in wrath and these upright will be the nucleus of change.
- Who is the failed invader? No identifying signs are given, but we could surmise that operatives from south of the border could try. Even China or North Korea could try to take advantage of the crippled Eagle. The Bear itself is not given any dominion here, unlike the following Leopard/Europe beast. The Bear is only authorized to ‘devour much flesh’ as a rod of correction. It’s impossible to say more.
- The Lord’s purpose, and the Bear’s, is not to utterly destroy but to humble and disarm a menacing threat. In the Bear’s eyes, the threat is to itself, in the Lord’s eyes Ephraim is a threat to his own continued existence. His sins are full in measure.
Isa 17:12 Woe to the multitude of many people who make as noise like the roar of the seas, and to the rushing of nations that make a rushing like the rushing of mighty waters!
Isa 17:13 The nations will rush like the rushing of many waters; But God will rebuke them and they will flee far away, and be chased like the chaff of the mountains before the wind, like a rolling thing before the whirlwind.
Isa 17:14 Then behold, at eventide, trouble! and before the morning, he is no more. This is the portion of those who plunder us, and the lot of those who rob us.
- This seminal prophecy for Ephraim, Joseph’s leading tribe, says he will be hit by archers [missiles] but yet he will not be destroyed because of God’s merciful intervention.
- We can know that missiles will be the delivery method, not pre-planted nukes in inland cities. Having 3 principal cities as the target makes a centrally detonated EMP weapon unlikely. That would also require longer range missiles affording more warning.
- The USA’s missiles [bow] will remain viable throughout.
- Yet, it is not his own bow/strength that saves him, but rather the divine hand of the Lord working a miraculous save by empowering Joseph’s arms.
Gen 49:23 The archers have bitterly grieved him, shot at him and hated him.
Gen 49:24 But his bow remained in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the Mighty God of Jacob